Friday, February 28, 2014

Improv Quilt One

I have finished the first improv quilt and it was a good learning experience.  I started by creating fabric slabs using reds, blues, grays, and blacks.  I highlighted the slab and quilt top making here.

Next came the quilting.  As this was a learning quilt I decided to use spiral quilting for the first time.  Here are some pictures of the final quilt and some of my learnings about spiral quilting (and a question).



Tip 1 - Make sure you take the quilting slow.  Each time I got comfortable spiraling, my quilting speed grew (using a walking foot on a stitch length of 4 on my Bernina) and I could tell that the layers were not being feed as easily. This resulted in a pucker on the back (much unpicking was done) and some pulling of the fabric on the front.

Tip 2 - Make sure that your backing is well positioned.  Well, this tip really is just for me and is universal to the type of quilting you are doing.  My backing was not much larger than my top, but I thought I had everything aligned correctly.  About halfway through quilting I noticed that my quilt back was actually misaligned and did not cover about 1.5" of the quilt top.  That is why if you compare the quilt top pics to the finished quilt you will notice a missing border where I had to chop the quilt.  I was kicking myself for that mistake.


Now for my question - in the center area of the spiral quilting (about a foot in diameter) there is extra fabric making that poof out from the surface of the quilt.  It looks like when areas have less quilting than surrounding areas so they poof a little.  My quilting lines are spaced pretty equally so I am not sure why this happened.  I washed the quilt and poofiness lessened but it is still there.  Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why this happened and how it can be avoided?


To finish this quilt was my February goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes (I was link #125 in the initial February linkup).






15 comments:

  1. I have no idea how the poofiness happened, Cheryl. But when I did my first spiral quilting, I basted my quilt with twice as many pins as I normally would. Don't know if this helped, but I did not have any shifting. Your improv quilt is gorgeous. I love the binding, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried this yet, but would really like to some day.
    Congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love the quilt!! I have only done the spiral quilting once so I'm not sure why the poofiness . . . sorry, wish I could help. . . does it help to know that it is not at all noticeable in the pictures? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love circle quilting but have yet to try it. Yours looks good. Sorry about the poof issues. Maybe it wasnt as tightly basted in the center? I really don't know so just throwing out suggestions. I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the improv. I am not totally sure but I wonder if you maybe held it really tight there when turning circles, thus the quilting is tight in the weave. Then as you went out you let up and it quilted normal. I didn't have this happen on a circle quilting project but on one where I sort of bracketed out from the center. There was no way it was going to lay down so it now drapes a chair so you can't tell. ha It is still very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No clue why it happened. Maybe sew on a button to help it stay down. =) I love the limited palette you used. Very appealing quilt. I linked from LAFF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Cheryl - I've never done the circle quilting so I can't help you with that answer. Beautiful quilt tho!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl what a fun and wonderful quilt! Love the fabric with the background fabric. Love the spiral quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Turned out great! I've never done circle quilting either, not quilt sure how to get the center started evenly. Love the binding also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quilt and the circle quilting. I did it once and really want to do it again.

    Richard and Tanya Quilts
    Richard and Tanya Quilts Patterns on Craftsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your improv quilt, I am naturally drawn to improv quilts - I find they take longer but are really rewarding. Regarding the poofiness, could it be something to do with the batting?? Otherwise I have not suggestions for its cause, I'm not experienced enough. Thank you for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am visiting from LAFF. I love your quilt. Did you find improv taking longer than pattern piecing? I was surprised because I expected it to be faster and easier. I haven't tried the big spiral quilting yet, but it is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very modern and very funky! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the improv. It really looks good. Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! I'm also too nervous to improvisationally piece. I get so nervous about messing up the composition of the quilt as a whole, but you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!