Tuesday, March 4, 2014

300 HST made and trimmed, how does a quilter reward herself? (and ALYoF March goal)

I finished up making and trimming the 300+ HST for my queen sized Out To Sea (which has been renamed Sea Star for right now) quilt for my son.  So logic would say that the next thing I should do is start sewing up the blocks....what I decided to do was to start a totally new project.

I had an idea for fun and simple quilt (aka no HST or geese) and before I even put pen to paper I had the whole pattern worked out in my head including which fabric to use and what quilting I wanted to use.  I just had to start making it, I really had no choice :)

(Sorry for the poor night photos)

I used a layer cake of PB&J by Basic Grey for Moda (one layer cake and a bit of background yardage = a nice lap sized quilt).  I started cutting Thursday night, finished the 56 blocks Saturday night and finished piecing the quilt top Sunday night.



My goal for March is to finish this quilt which I am calling Peanut Butter Pinwheels for the time being.  

I think that I will be able to make this goal pretty easily which will leave some time to make quilt hangers and labels for my quilts (necessary, but not such fun quilty things to do).  I am entering a number of quilts in my local quilt guild quilt show on the 28th of this month.

I thought I would also add a little artwork by my 4 year old daughter.  What does fabric scraps + paper + Elmer's glue = ?  It equals good fun for the little artist and a good use for those "too little to use but too cute to throw out" scraps.




Hope you have a wonderful week!!




10 comments:

  1. How fun! I'm amazed at how quickly you can whip a top out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! When you get something going, you run with it! What a gorgeous top. And those fabric scraps sure kept your little artist busy and happy. Both are works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree if you got an idea just go for it and your PBP quilt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely have an artist in the making :) Her composition is pretty spot on. And the peanut butter quilt looks fabulous! Love the color choices and the layout with the larger and smaller blocks. Good eye! Like mother, like daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love your quilt top! That is a great block that would work great with made-fabric. I'll have to keep this one in mind. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have started a new project too. After trimming 300 HST, I would not want to see them for a bit. :) Very nice new quilt. I like how the white pinwheels stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fun quilt, Cheryl! I think you probably needed a break from the HST :)

    Beautiful art work by your daughter :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I agree, it's nice to sew straight lines and rectangles for a change. Beautiful looking quilt! Maybe a pattern/tutorial some day?
    Julie @ The Crafty Quilter

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!